1.0 Purpose of the Department:
To promote democratic governance, advocacy, transparency, and accountability in Local Governments.
1.1 Key Functions:
- To enhance the capacity of Local Governments to deliver quality services.
- To supervise and coordinate operations of Local Governments.
- To present requests of Local Governments for development programmes to line ministries.
- To evolve skills development for Local Government staff to deal with the challenges of decentralization process.
- To present, protect and defend local administration interests at all levels.
- To put in place mechanisms for equitable sharing of resources in the various Local Governments.
- To provide support supervision to Local Governments.
- To analyze reports from Local Governments and tender appropriate advice.
1.2 Key Outputs:
- Capacity of Local Governments to deliver services enhanced.
- Operations of Local Governments properly coordinated and supervised.
- Development programme requests of Local Governments presented to line ministries.
- Skills development for Local Government staff evolved.
- Local Government interests’ presented, protected and defended at all levels.
- Mechanisms for equitable distribution of resources among Local Governments put in place.
- Support supervision of Local Governments provided.
- Performance Improvement Plans for poorly performing Local Governments developed, implemented and monitored (Click to view)